What is Transitional Dialysis Care?
Transitional Dialysis Care is a patient-centric approach to gently easing a patient into dialysis.
Easing patients into dialysis and educating them on their modality choices will help them make informed decisions, that meet their clinical and quality of life goals. Using your existing center staff and infrastructure, transitional care provides the opportunity of expanding your home hemodialysis (HHD), in-center dialysis (ICHD), and peritoneal dialysis (PD) programs.
Crashing Into Dialysis
Many patients who end up on dialysis do so in a rapid change or crash from disease progression, PD or transplant failures, or emergency hospital treatments.
Revolutionary Solution for Incident Patients
Transitional dialysis care is an innovative solution to ease patients into the transition of dialysis.
This solution allows patients:
- Time to adjust emotionally to their new normal
- Time to recover medically
- Time to receive unbiased modality education of their dialysis options
- Time to choose the modality that fits their unique clinical and life needs
Impact on Providers
A small case* study examined the impact of a transitional dialysis care program at an independent center in upstate New York looking to grow and differentiate their services. The operational model implemented by the clinic included:4
- 4 home machines in-center for patients in transition
- 2 part-time LPNs who administer treatments
- 1 HHD RN that conducts home training if patient is ready
- 2 shifts per day; patients dialyzed 4-5 times per week*
*Prescriptions varied based on medical necessity
Well-informed patients across all modalities selected PD and HHD programs most often.4
*Case study and statistics provided to NxStage Medical, Inc. through interview with provider.
Contact Us For More Information
- Lukowsky LR, Kheifets L, Arah OA, Nissenson AR, Kalantar-Zadeh K. Patterns and predictors of early mortality in incident hemodialysis patients: new insights. Am J Nephrol. 2012;35(6):548-558.
- Chan KE, Maddus FW, Tolkoff-Rubin N, et al. Early outcomes among those initiating chronic dialysis in the United States. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2011;6(11):2642-2649.
- Mehrota R, Marsh D, Vonesh E, Peters V, Nissenson A. Patient education and access of ESRD patients to renal replacement therapies beyond in-center hemodialysis. Kid Int. 2005;68(1): 378-90.
- Data on file. NxStage Medical, Inc. 2016.